Skip to main content

First Ride RockShox RS-1 fork


As a SRAM sponsored athlete, Andy Blair was one of the first riders in the country to bolt on a pair of RS-1 forks; here's what he had to say about the forks after nearly 6 months riding time on this revolutionary new suspension fork.

The old adage "you shouldn't try anything new for a big race" went completely out the window when my Rock Shox RS-1 arrived the week of the Port to Port race I couldn't get the fork mounted quickly enough and after a short test ride, I was really impressed by my first impressions of this revolutionary fork.

With it bolted on the front of my S-Works Stumpjumper hardtail, on my first ride I felt like this fork had somehow allowed my bike to bridge the gap between my hardtail and my dually. I felt more in control on fast rough descents and definitely noticed its ability to stick the front tyre to the ground through corners. This was especially apparent on slow switchback climbs where you often don't have a lot of weight on the front and the fork doesn't usually do much work. In this setting, the plushness of the RS-1's small bump capability came into its own. With a win in my first outing on the RS-1 I had enough confidence to take it to the World Marathon Championships and the Commonwealth Games In six weeks of travel and competition it didn't miss a beat.

Fast forward five months of riding on this fork and I'm still as impressed as I was with my first ride. Here is what I love about it.


The Bottomless Tokens
I've historically set my forks up very stiff because I suppose I have a fairly aggressive riding style and I hate that feeling of them bottoming out. This has meant that I miss out on the advantages of having good small bump compliance. With the Bottomless Tokens (basically plastic blocks that go inside the air chamber to reduce the volume), you can easily tune the RS-1 to have the best of both worlds. You can control not only the stiffness (air pressure) but the way the fork ramps up in the bottom of the travel. It is such a beautifully simple innovation that has transformed the way I can tune my fork and what I can get out of it, enabling zero breakaway force but a good solid feeling when you hit something hard.


Mud Clearance
In a brutally muddy stage of Port to Port, when other riders' forks were clogging with mud and stopping the front wheel from turning, mine was totally immune thanks to the amazing clearance and the lack of a crown. Buckled wheels and big tyres are also not a drama for an RS-1. You just keep pedalling.


The Feel
The combination of the self-lubricating inverted seals, the location of the exposed stanchions being away from contamination and the uncompromising design and construction of the fork makes this one the stiffest and plushest fork I've ever ridden.


The Looks
Check out the picture. Enough said.

Popular posts from this blog

KONA SHRED

With a reputation for no-nonsense ruggedness and a background in the always progressive and punishing riding of Canada, Kona have been building hardcore hardtails for longer than almost anyone else. The Shred is the most expensive bike on test but it’s a proper trail tank.

ENVE M50 29" Wheels

Utah based company ENVE have been making drool-worthy carbon components for some years now. Despite the fact that carbon rims are becoming more and more common on mountain bikes these days, you can guarantee that ENVE wheels will be a talking point when someone is eyeing off a steed. Instantly, the big bold logos on each rim scream "fast", "light" and to some extent, "expensive" The kids call this 'bling'.

Cannondale Trail SL 29 SS

The fat aluminium tubes are a constrast to the skinny items seen elsewhere in the test, but this rigid Cannondale uses them to create one of the most old-school - and lightest - rides here.

NS Bikes Metropolis bike

There aren’t many companies like NS Bikes, whose entire product range is designed around getting rad, ripping corners and boosting jumps. The Polish brand are passionate about freeride and have gained a reputation for building heavy-hitting,wellspecced and reasonably-priced bikes. This latest incarnation of their Metropolis dirt jump rig follows in this vein, with a doublebutted 4130 chromoly frame and an array of reliable kit. The frame mixes MTB and BMXtechnology, using a threaded bottom bracket and Race Face AEfect two-piece crankset in combination with horizontal dropouts and an integrated headset and seat clamp. A Manitou Circus Elite fork gives 100mm of air-sprung travel, with a 20mm front axle to maintain stifness. The Metropolis rolls on 26in NS Fundamental rims, fitted with Kenda Small Block 8 tyres. We reckon the combo of chrome frame and tan-wall rubber looks pretty rad too! The full build weighs a fairly robust 12.13kg , but it should have no problem shrugging of s...

YT Tues downhill bike

The new Tues downhill bike is here – and won a World Cup on its first outing While a number of big brands have launched 29er downhill bikes,YT Industries are sticking with proven 650b wheels – for now, at least. The latest Tues comes in five sizes (S-XXL), with the biggest sporting a reach of 495mm. Head tube and chainstay lengths now vary between sizes, to put the rider in a better position on the bike. The S-L bikes have 435mm stays, while the XL and XXL are a shade longer, at 440mm. Reach is longer than last year on some sizes, including the XL ridden to victory by Aaron Gwin at this year’s openingWorld Cup round.A reachadjust headset can be used to tailor the fit further. YT have also made subtle but significant changes to the suspension. The initial stroke is said to be more sensitive, while there’s more mid-stroke support, to sit the bottom bracket a shade higher when on track.YT have decreased end-stroke progression, by five per cent, to make tackling really big hits th...